Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Zoo & Antiques Festival

The kids didn't have preschool the Monday after Easter so we packed a lunch and headed to the zoo. It was a beautiful day!
 We just stayed on the African side this time. We love the giraffes and zebras and elephants.
 The girls were in a picture taking mood. They kept climbing up on things saying, "Take my picture!"
 We said this guy was King Julian from the Madagascar movie. He definitely looked like he was the boss.
 The birds nest on the carousel was in hot demand. They made a new friend who wanted to go super fast.
 Cheese! 
 Megan is still enjoying gymnastics with Mr. Jeff. But now while she's running around having fun I'm running around chasing Everett. He runs all over that place! Mr. Jeff grabbed him the other day and put him up on the rings. He was interested in it for about a second before he wanted down. Right now, Everett has a very short attention span!
 Makena got her second turn doing the share bag at preschool this past week. She was so excited! As soon as we got home she wanted to start picking out things to take to school. They were also reading Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar at school the next day. And we had just happened to catch a caterpillar at home so she took it to school to show her class. Megan wanted to caterpillar to come to her class, too, so it could "play with her." :) 
On Friday, my dad and I took the kids to the Liberty Antiques Festival. I follow a few diy and home blogs and they inspired me to go and check it out. I'll see people like Layla at The Lettered Cottage find something that looks like nothing and turn it into something fabulous that looks like it came from Pottery Barn where it would cost at least three times as much. So did I leave the antiques festival with lots of awesome finds? No, of course not. Partially because my eye for finding things that have potential isn't nearly as good as the girls on the home blogs and because I'm just too cheap. There were a few things there that I was interested in but then I would see the price tag and decide against it. So I left with one thing. I bought an old whiskey jug for $15. I was able to talk the guy down from $20. They had some antique face jugs there that looked like they came from Seagrove. They were a little too pricey but the kids and I thought they were super cool.
 Makena and Megan loved all of the antique baby carriages and cribs.
 They also had fair like food at the festival. Makena got a fresh squeezed lemonade, my dad and I shared a funnel cake and Megan got a frozen cheesecake dipped in chocolate. Yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment