About a week ago, Makena and Megan decided that they wanted to wash the mini-van. It was, and usually is, in such a state that I figured they couldn't hurt it. So since I never wash my car at home I picked up some car washing supplies at Walmart and then let them have at it. They had so much fun! I think we'll be doing this a lot during the summer. When they were done, Makena told me I owed them 5 bucks. :) What a deal!!
Did you know that May is National Bike Month? This past Tuesday, Makena's class had Bike Day. The teacher sent a note home asking for kids to bring their bikes (or another riding toy) and helmet to school. Makena was beyond excited! She had to ride her bike from our car over to the picnic shelter where we were supposed to drop off the bikes. One of her friends had her training wheels taken off and now Makena is asking us to take hers off, too! You'll definitely see that adventure on a future blog post!
On Tuesday, we also had Makena's two best friends from preschool, Kate and Dree, over for a play date. Makena had literally been marking the days off the calendar. The girls had so much fun playing together and the moms enjoyed being able to chat. Before they arrived, Megan informed Makena, "I know Kate and Dree, too." It was like she was telling her that she wasn't going anywhere and she was not going to miss the fun. They played outside and did arts and crafts and played dress up. Makena is really going to miss seeing all of her preschool friends everyday this summer. We're going to have to plan some play dates so we can get together with everyone. I can't believe this is the only picture I took during our play date! Everett woke up about 15 minutes into it so I was plenty busy chasing him.
Makena and Kate
We bought a caterpillar castle at the butterfly farm when we went a few weeks ago. It is simply a milkweed plant with a couple of butterfly eggs on it covered with a net. Our eggs hatched and have grown into caterpillars and one turned into a chrysalis this week. For $20, the caterpillar castle has bought us so much entertainment. Makena and Megan love it. One of our caterpillars is an escape artist. The plant has a net over it with a ribbon snugly tied around the base. Somehow, this caterpillar has gotten out 3 times! There must be a hole in the net that I don't see. First it was on our bookcase. The second time it had just made it to the outside of the net. The third time, I searched everywhere for it before bedtime and could not find it. The next morning as I was going upstairs to get the kids there it was on the stairs crawling around. I was sure it was going to make it's chrysalis and turn into a butterfly inside the house.
I took this picture during his 2nd escape.
There is our chrysalis. It has sparkly, glittery dots on it. Very pretty.
Makena and Megan had to check out the caterpillar before I put him back on the plant. Megan said, "Look! It's making a j!" (They do this when they're about to make their chrysalis.) Makena spoke up and said, "No, that's actually a 'c'."
The girls had soccer games at the exact same time this Saturday. I'm so glad Phil was off and was able to be with Megan while I was with Makena.
Here are Addison, Makena and Ella taking a break.
Addison coming through the tunnel.
Ella's turn.
And there is Makena!
And finally....On Saturday afternoon, Phil and I hosted a picnic for his office at our neighborhood barn. After everyone had eaten, Phil went and got our big bounce house and blew it up for the kids. Everett was very interested in it. I put him up there a couple of times but as soon as he saw all the big kids jumping inside he changed his mind and wanted out. We'll have to let him have some time to bounce by himself next time.




No comments:
Post a Comment