Our big girl, Makena, had her preschool graduation on Thursday! I was able to get a baby sitter for Everett and Megan decided to stay home with her, as well. I was afraid someone would end up having to walk out if we brought Everett with us. And I was NOT going to miss any of this. Phil was able to get away from work for a little bit to attend and Popaw and G-Dada came, as well. It was the sweetest ceremony. They had been working on it for weeks and had even sent a CD home so the kids could practice their songs. As we got closer to the day, Makena started to tell me little bits of information about her graduation. First she told me about these "costumes" they were going to wear and continued to describe something that sounded like a hood. Then one day she told me about a piece of paper they gave them that was kind of rolled up. They got diplomas, too! The night before graduation, Makena told me she was so excited she didn't think she could sleep. :)
This was our first year at this new preschool and we have really come to love it. Makena absolutely adores her preschool friends and I know she will really miss them this summer. Her teachers were both fantastic. Makena always has a great time at preschool but I feel like she learned a lot this year, too. For example, when we went to Washington DC in the fall, I bought the girls the Melissa & Doug puzzle of the solar system at the Air & Space Museum. When we got back to the hotel, Makena told me the correct names for all of the planets, in the correct order. This was not something we had been working on with her. So I attribute it to the science center they have in their classroom.
On graduation day, I headed to the gym and found that there were lots of proud Mamas and Daddies who had already began saving seats. So we found the best seats we could.
Here is Makena as she walked by our row during the Processional...
The Trackers (what our preschool calls the readiness class) led the Pledge of Allegiance and sang the first song. Then the four year old classes (which included Makena since she was four when she started this year) joined them and they sang four more songs together. They were really cute songs! Makena's favorite song was probably, Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. :)
I was having a hard time seeing and taking pictures so I moved out to the center aisle. I'm so glad I moved because once I did I could not only see her better but I could also hear her sing! I could hear her little voice above the others as she sang her little heart out. :)
There she is with her class...
Here they are going to have a seat as they wait to get their diplomas.
Waiting patiently for her class to go receive their diplomas...
And here she is! Makena's teacher, Ms. Roletter, gave her the diploma and then shook her hand. Ms. Jerrie, the preschool director, is in the back wearing a white shirt and pink sweater. And Makena's other teacher, Ms. Bean, is at the table.
After everyone had received their diplomas they played a slide show of pictures the teachers had taken through the year. They played some sweet songs while showing the pictures. My favorite had to be the theme song from The Golden Girls. :) I started tearing up a little while they were showing the pictures and Phil looked over and asked, "Why are you crying?!" I'm proud of myself that I didn't boo-hoo more than I did considering my first baby is about to go off to Kindergarten and leave me! The pictures probably weren't all that tear-provoking, but I think it was just the overwhelming thought that my little girl is growing up. Makes me want to cry again just thinking about it. The kids loved the slide show. They would shout out their friends names when they saw their pictures onscreen. Makena must of clearly seen a picture of someone she knows here...
After the slide presentation, all of the children went back on stage. They sang the blessing, God our Father, in English and in Spanish, Dios el Padre. They sang the song, My Bonnie, which always sounded like "my bunny" when Makena sang it. I guess that's what we get since we had a rabbit as a pet for a while.
And lastly, the said a little graduation poem. Makena had been reciting this poem at home for days. It is so sweet!
Do you remember way last fall
When I was only just this tall?
Now look at me I'm up to here!
And my, I've learned a lot this year!
In fact, you think I'm really great!
That's why I get to graduate!
After the Recessional, we were able to go pick Makena up in her classroom. And then we went out to the picnic shelter for cookies and lemonade. Here she is with her Preschool Certificate.
And now they're off to Kindergarten!! I remember meeting these little ladies for the first time at Courtney Steadman's house when they were just little babies. I remember the Evans girls wearing bibs saying, I'm Joiner, she's Carly. And I'm Carly, she's Joiner. My how time flies!
Makena with Carly, Joiner and Ellison
For some reason, whenever these girls get together they have to pick each other up. Not sure why that is.
Makena and Kate
Makena and Kate
Kate, Makena and Dree
Makena and Ms. Bean
Makena and Ms. Roletter
Makena and Popaw at home after the ceremony...
I went home and retrieved the other two munchkins and we took the graduate out for lunch. Her first choice had been Outback Steakhouse (which surprised me to say the least) but unfortunately they were only open for dinner that day. So we went with choice number two, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery.
Here I am with my little Panama Jack baby.
After lunch, we let the kids run around the fountain outside. Everett LOVED the fountain!
This is the best picture I could get of the girls together. They have squinty eyes and little pirate faces. It looks like Makena is saying, "Arh!"
Everett would have happily jumped into the fountain if we had let him.
Here comes T-R-O-U-B-L-E.
You can't tell it from the picture, but Everett was standing there bouncing up and down and shaking his booty like he was dancing. :)
If you stood in a certain spot around the fountain you got sprayed with a little water. Everett loved that spot. He had so much fun!
Here is the crew with G-Dada!
Shot #2
We are so proud of our little graduate! I cannot believe she will be going off to Kindergarten in the fall. I am not ready for this. Although she would go tomorrow if I would let her. I have no doubt she will love Kindergarten and do well. Watching your kids grow up is so bittersweet!
No comments:
Post a Comment