Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Makena's Open House & First Day of First Grade

I still can't believe Makena is in first grade this year! Where does the time go? She is still loving school. She has hit that stage where some things are starting to be a little uncool...like giving your mom or dad a hug and kiss at the bus stop in front of everyone. I usually go give her a big squeeze and smooch on the cheek anyway. :) There is a little more work in first grade. She has math homework every night and has to read a book every day. She also has a spelling test every Friday so we practice throughout the week. Makena's friends Dree and Aden from preschool are in her class this year. She was excited for them to be in her class and she also recognized several other names from kindergarten.
 
Makena at her desk at open house. The kids had a small assignment to work on while parents filled out paper work.
 Makena with the assistant teacher, Mrs. Alligood.
 Makena and her teacher Mrs. Pitts
 When we came home from open house the sprinklers were on and the kids were all soaked before we could have them change into bathing suits. We'll defintely have to do more of this next summer!
 Phil with the munchkins after their bath 


Then it was time for Makena's first day! She was so excited! I took her to school the first day but she's been riding the bus to and from school otherwise. There are quite a few kids her age that are riding that she knows and she's really enjoying it. Makena had pancakes and eggs on the red plate for breakfast.
 Everett and Megan miss Makena while she is at school. Everett cried the first few mornings when she got on the bus. He would yell "I want Kena!" He loves Makena. One day we asked Everett where Makena was and he said, "school bus." It was the middle of the day. I pretty sure he thinks she just rides around on the school bus all day. :)
 Makena wanted a new backpack this year but I turned her down. I told her we weren't going to get a new one every year. So she decided to carry the messenger bag she got a Disney World the last time we went. The bottom isn't reinforced at all so I told her that if it messes up she has to carry her old one. I did get her a new lunch box because her last one wouldn't come clean. I used multiple stain removers and it still looked dirty! Makena chose the zebra print lunch box.




No comments:

Post a Comment